One of my most popular posts from The Collegiate’s Guide happens to be my Extensive Dorm Packing List for College Freshman. I’m glad that it’s been helpful for so many people as they head off for their first year of college.
After my freshman year, I moved out to an off-campus duplex. Not exactly an apartment, but a similar concept. Those three years in the duplex with my three roommates were some of the best years of my life so far, and I like to think that part of it was the way we set up our place.
Our duplex was unfurnished, but fortunately, my roommates were thrifty and I had a bunch of furniture that I inherited from family (basically, we’re hoarders for those “just in case” moments). Many people don’t realize the amount of stuff that goes into finding an apartment and ensuring that you have everything you need in order to maintain it, furnished or unfurnished. But it can be overwhelming trying to figure out what all you need. So after many requests, I have created a complete college apartment packing guide for my upperclassmen friends in need. This list includes furniture.
This list is designed to provide guidance as you shop for your apartment. If you’re living by yourself, lucky you! You have free reign with the design. If you have roommates, be sure to consult them on the color scheme and to share the load in furnishing the place. They might already have some things on the list, so you don’t have to buy them!
- Area rug
- Coffee Table
- Lamps - both floor lamps and table lamps.
- TV + Roku/Amazon FireTV - I have an Amazon FireStick and my parent’s have a Roku Express. Both are great!
- TV stand - I have this one in my room right now, and love it!
- DVD Player
- Power Strip
- HDMI Cables
- Frames, posters and other decor items
- Curtain Rods
- Diffuser & Essential Oils - I've swapped all of my candles for essential oils and diffusers and haven't looked back! These are the oils I use.
- Bed - I upgraded to a full sized bed after that twin in the freshman dorm!
- Sheets - These are my absolute favorite brand at a reasonable price!
- Decorative Pillows
- Curtain Rod
- Curtains - especially the black out curtains so you can sleep in!
- Desk lamp
- Bedside table/shelf
- Dresser/Wardrobe for clothing storage
- Area Rug (if the floor isn't carpet)
- Diffuser & Essential Oils - Again, I use these all the time. These are the oils I use.
- Pots/Pans - This is an affordable, good quality set!
- Oven Mits
- Dish Rags
- Dish Drying Rack
- Drying Rack Mat
- Baking Necessities/Spices (everyone will at least want salt and pepper!)
- Rug for in front of sink - love this one for a clean and classic look!
- Kitchen Towels
- Paper Towels - A great natural line!
- Paper Plates
- Regular Plates - How cute are these?
- Shower Curtain
- Shower Curtain Liner
- Shower Curtain Rod
- Hanging Shower caddy/shelf - the Command line is seriously my favorite thing.
- Bathroom cleaner - Here’s a great natural line!
- Toilet cleaner - literally the best toilet cleaner I've found. Plus, it smells great!
- Bath Mat - I have a round one, but if I were shopping right now I would buy this!
- Towels - 2-4 is a great number so you don't feel like you're drowning in laundry
- Wash Cloth - 2-4
- Under the sink storage/organization
- Broom/Dust pan
- Disinfectant spray - Again, a great natural line!
- Vacuum - Check craigslist or another site where you can purchase a used one. They’re EXPENSIVE.
- Under the bed storage - I use these bins to store seasonal items and my blogging equipment
This list doesn’t include decorative items or specifics, but this is a great starter list for those of you who don’t know where to start!
I hope this is helpful for those of you who are moving into your new apartment!